Students from UTHSCSA at the Chicago Regional Advocacy Institute.
The PHR National Student Conference on Saturday, February 12, 2011 is next Saturday, and this year’s lineup of speakers, student presentations, workshops, and collaborative working sessions means that this Conference is targeted at you.
It’s not too late to register! Click here to sign up. Find great last minute transportation deals on megabus, bolt bus, greyhound, and kayak. Other options include amtrak or you could carpool, maybe with zipcar.
It’s even more fun with a friend, so send your friend the link to this blog. Last year, over 25% of Conference participants said they came because a friend invited them.
If you’re coming alone, not to worry – there day’s agenda has lots of time to meet people at the regional lunches, the collaborative working sessions, the Education Expo, and the reception. One more way to make sure there are some familiar faces at the Conference: Join other students and PHR staff at a Pub Night on Friday, February 11, from 7:00 – 10:00 pm at Good Life Bar in downtown Boston, not far from Tufts University School of Medicine.
Please print the Logistics Guide PDF (pdf) found on the Conference web
site. It contains the following information to ensure your trip to the conference is as smooth as possible:
- Directions to the Tufts University School of Medicine
- Information about parking and public transportation
- Contact information for local cab companies
- Information on the Pre-Conference Friday Pub Night
- A list of activities in the city should you choose to stay for the weekend. By the way – the Lion Dance Parade (to celebrate the 2011 Chinese New Year) will take place the day after the Conference (Sunday, Feb 13th from 10 am-5pm) in Chinatown, the same neighborhood as the PHR Conference!
Also, the most up-to-date Conference Agenda and list of speakers can be found on the Conference website.
Don’t forget to pack:
- Waterproof shoes, gloves, and a warm coat – Boston is sunny, but still has piles of snow
- Your white coat – for fabulous photographs of health professional activism
- Your ID – for the networking pub night on Friday (see below)
- A pen – for sharing your email address with new contacts and jotting down brilliant ideas
- A water bottle – at 12 hours, this is an endurance event
- This email and the Logistics Guide PDF
No need to pack a snack for Saturday; we’ll feed you five times.
On Saturday, please arrive between 8:00 – 8:15 a.m. at the Arthur M. Sackler Center for Medical Education (located at 145 Harrison Ave., Boston, MA 02111) for registration and breakfast. If you are presenting at the Education Expo, arrive by 8:00 to give yourself enough time to set up.
Please note the contact information below (the PHR cell) for use in case you get lost or if your travel plans change unexpectedly en route to the Conference: 617-413-6407.
We also invite you to join us for the Saturday night reception at 6:30 pm – immediately following PHR CEO Frank Donaghue’s closing remarks. This reception will bring together presenters, PHR staff, and health professional faculty and students for appetizers and networking.
Please stay tuned to the Conference website for updates as the event approaches.